LUM Homeless Services Goes Paperless
Emergency Shelter Now Using Tablets at Check-in
Thanks to a grant from the McAllister Foundation, LUM was able to purchase new tablets for LUM Emergency Shelter. The new tablets are now being used for shelter intake and check-in (see photo).
LUM Emergency Shelter staff no longer will be checking in shelter guests using a paper copy of the nightly shelter list. The tablets will also be used to sign up guests for a bed at “intake.” The benefits are numerous and include the following:
- Paperless – Reduces the amount of paper used
- Time – Saves time because data is entered digitally eliminating the need to transfer this data to the spreadsheet later from notes on paper
- Portable – Allows staff to check in shelter guest at the entrance door before they enter the facility
- Safety – Checking in guests at the entrance door controls who enters the facility
- Energy – Tablets need less electricity to operate and less power to charge compared to desktop computers and laptops
This is another example of how the LUM team is constantly using new strategies to be more sustainable, more effective and safer. Thanks again to the McAllister Foundation for making this new initiative possible.
Get Engaged with the LUM Emergency Shelter
Every Night – 8 p.m. to 7 a.m.
| Volunteer | Donate | Provide Meals | Needed Items | Host a Collection Drive |
VOLUNTEER – The LUM Emergency Shelter needs Overnight Shelter Volunteers 365 nights a year from 8 p.m.-7 a.m. or 8 p.m. -midnight. Duties include checking in guests, serving dinner, distributing toiletries and maintaining a welcoming, safe & clean environment. The LUM Winter Warming Station is now open until mid-April and also needs volunteers each night.
MEALS – If you or your group wishes to prepare a meal for the shelter guests once or regularly, click HERE for more information. For more information on homeless services volunteer opportunities at LUM, click HERE.
- Make a Monetary DONATION, click HERE
- Sign up to VOLUNTEER, click HERE
- Donate Needed ITEMS, click HERE
- Prepare a MEAL for LUM guests, click HERE
Your financial generosity is not only an act of hospitality toward those with no home of their own, it is also an investment in the health and safety of the greater community. If you’re interested or need more information, click HERE — or email or call Jeffrey Auguste (firstname.lastname@example.org | 765-423-2691).