Celebrating Another Successful Tax Year – Despite COVID-19
“It is clear that despite COVID-19 our program has been a success,” stated Josh Prokopy, the LUM Tax Assistance director. Each year, LUM offers FREE Income Tax Preparation Assistance for eligible, low-income households and individuals who reside in Tippecanoe County. LUM is proud of the Tax Assistance team for making it possible to continue offering this service during the pandemic.
Some interesting statistics about this year’s LUM Tax Assistance Program are as follows:
- $373,176 – Total Refunds
- $338,856 – Total Federal Refunds
- $34,320 – Total State Refunds
- 242 – Income Tax Returns filed
- $68,016 – Total in Federal – Earned Income Credit
- $5,048 – Total in State – Earned Income Credit
- $73,064 – Total in Earned Income Credit
- $21,176 – Average Adjusted Gross Income
Why is the LUM Tax Assistance Program so important?
- Lower wage workers wouldn’t be able to afford having their tax returns prepared professionally
- Federal & state support for working families is often offered through tax code
- If workers don’t file, significant tax credits will be left unclaimed
- Refunds boost our local economy by increasing sales and creating jobs in retail