Retirement Celebration | Friday, March 6 | 7 p.m.
For more details, click HERE.
LUM Received All Stuffed Animals Collected
On December 23, the Purdue Women’s Basketball team hosted their annual Holiday Bash. Fans were invited to wear their ugly Christmas sweaters, meet Santa Claus, and participate in “Teddy Toss.”
During halftime of the game, Boilermaker fans threw hundreds of new stuffed animals onto the court. It was a fun holiday frenzy for a few minutes. All of the stuffed animals were then donated to LUM. Since then, the stuffed animals have either been distributed to the children of clients or incorporated into the LUM After School Program.
To view more Teddy Toss photos, click HERE.
Thanks to the Purdue Women’s Basketball team and Athletic Marketing & Fan Experience crew for their kind donation.
Ever thought about volunteering to help people with their tax returns? Don’t know that much about taxes? Don’t worry — you’ll get specialized training or you can choose a volunteer role that doesn’t require tax law certification.
The LUM Tax Assistance Program offers flexible hours, the training is free and the time commitment is up to you. Choose your role – and get a chance to touch many lives.
Please share with others.
Satisfy Your Required IRA Distribution & Pay No Tax
DID YOU KNOW?
If you are 70 ½ or older, you are required by the IRS to take required minimum distributions from your IRA(s) each year. When planning your IRA withdrawal strategy, you might consider making charitable donations to Lafayette Urban Ministry through a Qualified Charitable Distribution, also known as an IRA charitable rollover. Since LUM is a qualified 501(c)(3) charity, your gift can be made directly from your IRA to LUM. The ADVANTAGES are as follows:
- It’s an easy way to make an investment in LUM from one of your major assets.
- It satisfies all or part of your annual mandatory distribution requirement at age 70 ½ and older.
- It is excluded from income so you pay no federal tax on this amount, and avoid potentially being moved into a higher tax bracket.
To calculate your mandatory minimum withdrawal use the IRA Required Minimum Distribution Worksheet, click HERE. Once you’re ready, direct the administrator of your IRA(s) to make the charitable distribution(s) directly from your IRA(s) to Lafayette Urban Ministry, Inc. For a sample letter to your IRA administrator, click HERE. For more information, you may email or call the LUM executive director, Joe Micon (email@example.com | 765-423-2691).
What better goal for the upcoming NEW year than to create your own personal legacy by continuing your support of the mission of Lafayette Urban Ministry beyond your own lifetime? During our lifetimes, we support the families in our community with our gifts to LUM, but creating a legacy through Planned Giving means our ministry will continue for all perpetuity.
Giving to Lafayette Urban Ministry is a win-win Estate Planning strategy for you (the donor) and LUM. In addition to the altruistic benefits, your charitable gift to Lafayette Urban Ministry brings tax relief — and also allows you to make a larger gift to LUM than you could make from your income alone. Whether you use cash, appreciated securities/stock, real estate, artwork, partnership interests, personal property, life insurance or a retirement plan, the benefits of Estate Planned Gifts can make this type of donation attractive to you as a well as LUM.
The kind of help provided by Lafayette Urban Ministry to this community doesn’t happen automatically and won’t happen without your support. Jesus said, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.” At the Lafayette Urban Ministry we take those words seriously.
We know that offering homeless people food and shelter and lightening their load is the first step to helping them build better lives. But we also know it’s only the first step. That’s why LUM offers dozens of innovative programs of service, assistance, self-help, education and social justice advocacy. There will always be the poor, the sick and the disenfranchised in our world. We will always need to help provide these vital services to the families in our community. We hope you’ll help this important work to continue by giving generously.
Meet with your professional advisor to learn how informed estate planning can increase the overall value of your estate with a gift of tax-burdened assets (like IRAs, 401(k), or savings bonds) to Lafayette Urban Ministry. We hope you would consider a legacy gift that would support Lafayette Urban Ministry in your plans. Create your legacy this new year to support the mission of LUM now and beyond your lifetime.
We are ready and willing to help you leave a legacy and fulfill your philanthropic goals of supporting LUM. If you are interested in beginning the conversation, please email or call Joe Micon, LUM executive director, who is eager to meet with you (firstname.lastname@example.org | 765-423-2691). To give to LUM online, click the button below.
More information on giving to LUM may be found HERE.
Last Chance – Tax Deductible Gift for 2019
As New Year’s Day approaches, we ask that you remember Lafayette Urban Ministry in your end of the year plans.
While preparing for joyous celebrations with your friends and family, it’s important to stop and reflect on the joy and blessings in your own life while also being aware that not everyone in your community is so fortunate.
As you gathering with loved ones, exchanging gifts and enjoying a meal, please consider setting aside part of your budget to support the work of Lafayette Urban Ministry with a tax-deductible charitable donation.
Explore our website to see how you can make your donation to LUM more meaningful to you.
The donation process has been simplified allowing supporters to donate online, by phone, in person or by mail.
Donate Online by clicking the button below -or- Call us at 765-423-2691. Mail or Drop off your donation to the LUM Office, 420 N 4th Street, Lafayette, Indiana 47901.
During the past year, the Lafayette Urban Ministry served 4,723 families through one or another of our 22 programs.
- 221 at-risk youth learned and grew because of LUM’s 5th Quarter, LUM Camp and enhanced After School Programs
- LUM’s Overnight Shelter continues to compassionately serve the chronically homeless in our community. LUM’s shelter and overnight winter warming station will serve more than 930 homeless individuals during 2019.
- LUM’s Tax Preparation Program served 399 low-income workers, returning to them more than $906,000 in tax credits and refunds
- LUM’s Good Samaritan Program serves up to twelve families each day – families that are in the throes of eviction, utility disconnects, health care or transportation emergencies. LUM has aided more than 1,136 such families so far this year.
- More than, 1,291 individuals received emergency food from our LUM Protein Food Pantry.
- The Community Thanksgiving Celebration Celebration served 900 meals
- LUM’s ID Clinic served more than 200 clients
- Our Legal Immigration Program served 122 individuals
- And of course Jubilee Christmas –1,828 children!
| Oh tidings of comfort and joy | Comfort and joy |
| Oh tidings of comfort and joy |
- For your generous financial support of the program & services of LUM
- If you volunteered overnight or prepared a meal for the homeless and delivered it to the LUM Emergency Shelter
- If you volunteered as a LUM Camp counselor, After School Program tutor or in one of LUM’s other youth programs that are successfully narrowing the academic achievement gap
- If you attended LUM Follies, contributed to LUM Good Samaritan Fund or served as an advocate with the LUM Good Samaritan Program, helping 1,135 families to avert utility disconnect or eviction from their homes
- If you attended the Port of Hope event or volunteered with the LUM Immigration Clinic
- If you ran in the Turkey Trot 5K Run, worked at the Community Thanksgiving Celebration, or participated in Jubilee Christmas or contributed to one of 1,828 children impacted
- If you served on the LUM Board of Directors
- If you fought hunger in our community by volunteering to feed 1,291 individuals through LUM Protein Food Pantry — or by participating in Hunger Hike
- If you served as a LUM tax preparer and helped return millions of dollars in refunds and credits to low-income households in our community
Thank you for being a friend in 2019. LUM has impacted a significant number of children and families in our community this year because of YOU. What YOU do for LUM is so important in enabling us to accomplish our mission — and gives hope to families, encourages and educates children, is a positive force in our community — offering “comfort & joy” to the families we serve.
Thank you for choosing us as your community partner this year. Here’s to another decade of service to the people of this great community.
Thanks to the Crew at JX Truck Center – Lafayette
Thanks to the crew at the JX Truck Center of Lafayette (pictured above) for their donation of $250 to Lafayette Urban Ministry. Their donation was a part of JX Enterprises initiative called JX Gives Back. LUM appreciates the support of the members of the local JX Truck Center.
If you, your company or organization wishes to make an End of the Year/End of the Decade donation to LUM, please click the Donate button below. If you wish to discuss your gift, please call or email us (765-423-2691 | email@example.com). Hurry there’s only 12 more days until the end of the decade/year.
Overwhelming Support from the Community
The support from the community for Jubilee Christmas each year is overwhelming. There are too many to adequately thank here; so, here are just a few. Thanks to our biggest donors…
- Greyhouse Coffee & Supply Co.and Brokerage Brewing Co. for being Jubilee Christmas donation centers and donating lots of high quality, new toys.
- The staff members in Dauch Alumni Center at Purdue including the Purdue Alumni Association & the President’s Council (pictured) for donating five truck loads of new toys, bikes, clothes, sport equipment and more.
- The Parrot Heads Club of Lafayette for their donation of new toys.
- Anonymous individual donated over $7,000 worth of new winter coats, hats & gloves for our Jubilee Christmas children.
VERY SPECIAL THANKS to all of our Host-Sites who hosted all of our families, and whose members donated an incredible number of toys, clothes, cookies, blankets, hams, food cards and more. Jubilee Christmas could not possibly happen without their support over the past 39 years. They are as follows: Bethany Presbyterian Church, Central Presbyterian Church, Chapel of the Good Shepherd Episcopal Campus Ministry, Christ United Methodist Church, Church of the Blessed Sacrament, Congress Street United Methodist Church, Elston Presbyterian Church, Faith Presbyterian Church, Federated Church, First Baptist Lafayette, First Christian Church, First United Methodist Church of West Lafayette, Grace United Methodist Church, Holy Trinity Lutheran Church, Immanuel United Church of Christ, Lafayette Christian Reformed Church, Lafayette Church of the Brethren, Lafayette Friends Meeting, Memorial Presbyterian Church of Dayton, Our Saviour Lutheran Church, Riverside Covenant Church, St. Andrew United Methodist Church, St. John’s Episcopal Church, St. Lawrence Catholic Church, St. Mary Cathedral, St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic Center at Purdue, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, Trinity United Methodist Church, and the Unitarian Universalist Church of Tippecanoe County