Happy New Year!
For many 2021 wasn’t the best year ever, but it was at least better than 2020. At LUM, the focus on and service to all of our neighbors in need is stronger than ever. Some of the highlights that made this a year to remember are as follows:
- NEW LUM LOOK – at a special event in June, a new logo, colors, and brand were revealed honoring the enduring legacy of LUM and signifying a new era with a renewed commitment to give help & hope.
- NEW FOOD PANTRY – LUM food program expanded with the opening of the LUM Westside Food Pantry located at the Unitarian Universalist Church of Tippecanoe County. The LUM Westside Food Pantry complements the LUM Protein Food Pantry, located in downtown Lafayette, and is the only TEFAP food pantry in West Lafayette.
- NEW EVENTS: Two new initiatives were launched this year: Day for Dads & Free Haircuts. Day for Dads is designed to encourage and celebrate fathers who are engaged with their children and families. Free Haircuts are now offered once a month at LUM thanks to Jay Soto and other barbers in town.
- NEW STAFF POSITIONS: After reviewing the staffing needs, the following positions were created: Volunteer Coordinator, Immigration Clinic Assistant Director, Shelter Shift Supervisor, & Business Office Clerk.
Even more remarkable is that in 2021 LUM served more than 3,000 households through 22 different programs! Thanks to caring and generous people like YOU, LUM is still here and still providing essential services to the community. It has been “a year to remember,” indeed. Cheers to 2022! And Happy New Year to you and your family.
Wishing you and your family Peace, Hope & Love in the new year.
New Year’s Message from the LUM Executive Director
| Welcome 2022 | Still in Our Heart | Six Feet Apart |
- For your generous financial support of the program & services of LUM
- If you volunteered overnight or prepared a meal and delivered it to the LUM Emergency Shelter
- If you volunteered as a LUM Camp counselor, After School Program tutor or in one of LUM’s other youth programs that are narrowing the academic achievement gap
- If you attended the LUM Retirement Follies, contributed to LUM Good Samaritan Fund or served as an advocate with the LUM Good Samaritan Program, helping more than 1,500 families to avert utility disconnect or eviction from their homes
- If you participated in the Port of Hope event or volunteered with the LUM Immigration Clinic
- If you ran in the Turkey Trot 5K Run, or donated food or worked for the Community Thanksgiving Feast
- If you donated, hosted a family, participated in Jubilee Christmas making Christmas possible for 1,750 local children in 625 local families
- If you served on the LUM Board of Directors
- If you fought hunger in our community by volunteering with the LUM Protein Food Pantry — or by participating in Hunger Hike
- If you served as a LUM tax preparer and helped return hundreds of thousands of dollars in refunds and credits to low-income households in our community
Thank you for being a friend in 2021. LUM has impacted a significant number of children and families in our community this year because of YOU. What YOU do for LUM is so important in enabling us to accomplish our mission — and restores dignity to families, encourages and educates children, is a positive force in our community — offering peace, hope & love to the families we serve.
Thank you for choosing us as your community partner this year. Here’s to another day of service to the people of this great community.