Joe Micon – Honored as True Community Leader
Last Friday, close to 500 individuals gathered to pay tribute to Joe Micon, a true community leader for more than 41 years. The event included amazing musical performances by Michael Kelsey, Purdue Varsity Glee Club, Black Voices of Inspiration, Zelaya, and the 65 member, LUM Ecumenical Choir.
Joe Micon and his family were joined by past executive director, Rev. Jud Dolphin; past acting director, Mary Anderson; Ellen Elly, the wife of the founding executive director, the late Rev. Ron Elly; Rev. Don Nead; and Professor Emeritus Jim Davidson. The event concluded with a reception sponsored by Lafayette Brewing Company.
Joe was overwhelmed with the love and support from the guests and speakers. He was presented with the following:
- Sagamore of the Wabash – from Governor Holcomb presented by State Senator Ron Alting (click HERE for more information)
- Marquis de Lafayette Award – from the City of Lafayette presented by Mayor Tony Roswarski – the highest award given for going above and beyond with volunteerism, citizenship, and overall dedication & commitment to the community
- Quilt – made from squares created by the LUM After School Program students
- Artwork Gift – from the City of West Lafayette presented by Mayor John Dennis
- Proclamation & the Indiana State Seal – from the state legislature presented by State Rep. Sheila Klinker
- Resolution – from the state legislature presented by State Rep. Chris Campbell
- Distinguished Alumni Award – IU School of Social Work (click HERE for more information)
- Executive Director Emeritus distinction – presented by the LUM Board of Directors (click HERE for more information)
LUM Follies was also a fundraising event for the LUM Good Samaritan Fund — an emergency financial assistance program. So far, the event has raised close to $33,000 for the LUM general fund and Good Samaritan Fund in honor of Joe Micon. If you were not able to attend the LUM Follies, you may send your well wishes to Joe Micon by email or US Mail (firstname.lastname@example.org | 420 N 4th Street, Lafayette, IN 47901). Donations to LUM in Joe’s honor are still being accepted as well. Simply click the button below to give online.
Thanks to YOU, Joe Micon was given the retirement send-off he deserves.
In lieu of gifts the Micon Family requests that you make a donation to Lafayette Urban Ministry in honor of Joe Micon.