Program Director – Financial Assistance Program
LUM has an opening for Program Director of the LUM Financial Assistance Program. Please review the information below — and share with others. Anticipated start date is December 1, 2022. Applications will be reviewed starting September 30, 2022.
Lafayette Urban Ministry is looking for an experienced individual who can help our clients with financial emergencies, provide assistance, and find the resources they need to manage difficulties they are currently facing. Successful candidates will oversee a talented team of volunteers who see a full caseload, meet with clients to determine their current needs and advise clients on what kind of help is available, and submit paperwork on time to get assistance. Our ideal candidate has at least two years of experience with client relations preferably as a social worker and has experience working with a diverse population of individuals and families.
POSITION – DESCRIPTION
- Title: Program Director: Financial Assistance Program, ID Clinic
- Status: ½ time, Salaried
- Supervisor: Executive Program Director
- Terms: As specified in LUM Personnel Policies.
- Hours: 18.75 hours per week; Weekdays from 8:00 a.m. to noon
- Starting Salary: $19,500 annually – $20 per hour; Starting Cash Benefit: $6,435 annually
POSITION – DUTIES
Financial Assistance Program
- Assesses clients’ needs and provides support, assistance and referrals
- Assists low-income households in obtaining emergency financial assistance for rent, utilities, and health care assistance
- Recruits, trains, coordinates, supervises, and schedules volunteers
- Offers continuing in-service training to volunteers
- Assures that volunteers enter intake records completely and properly
- Manage online in-take forms
- Maintains an accurate record of clients in the LUM database
- Coordinates with the receptionist for client check-in
- Enforces the LUM client confidentiality policy
- Remains knowledgeable and up-to-date on all sources of emergency assistance, both public and private, in the Greater Lafayette community
- Engages with and supports the LUM Jubilee Christmas program
- Influence community and policymakers to develop programs, policies, and services to assist low income families and children
Good Samaritan Fund
- Provides information to Executive Director for solicitation letters
- Implements board-adopted guidelines for the administration of GSF
- Maintains accurate accounting of disbursements on QuickBooks
- Consults regularly with Executive Program Director on GSF activity, trends, and needs
- Administers grants (for example, EFSP), including submitting the application, providing documentation and submitting required reports
- Assists and actively participates in fundraising for GSF
- Meets with clients to assist them in obtaining valid Indiana ID
- Prints & processes birth certificate requests
- Assists clients obtain documentation for the following:
- Lawful status
- Social Security Number
- Works with others to obtain documentation, including extended family, schools, other agencies, and employers
- Works with the Social Security Administration office and other agencies
- Obtains court documents as necessary
- Assists in obtaining children’s birth certificates when needed, including HUD housing, school enrollment, Head Start, and child support proceedings
- Processes application fees from the GSF account
- Keeps accurate accounting records and database entries for disbursements
- Evaluate programs and services for quality
- Attends staff meetings and retreats
- Submits monthly reports to the Board of Directors
- Complies with all LUM policies, laws, and NASW code of ethics
- Completes other duties as assigned
- Participates in the LUM strategic planning process and goal setting
- Advocate and raise awareness on behalf of low income families and the needs of the community
- Master’s degree preferred (bachelor’s degree required) from an accredited college or university
- Proficient in data entry, word processing, and spreadsheets
- Experience in client relations, program administration and volunteer recruitment and coordination
- Self-directed and able to work without much supervision
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to work cooperatively with diverse people and groups (church, secular, public, private, low income)
- 2+ years experience working with low-income families from diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Fluent in Spanish preferred
- Able to travel when needed as required by job duties
- Have a strong faith dynamic as expressed by a willingness to accept and support the LUM Mission Statement
- Commitment to self-determination of the poor
Lafayette Urban Ministry is an organization of more than 47 churches that serves as a social safety net for local individuals, families and children, through one of 22 programs. Through these programs, LUM helps tackle basic human needs and uplift the people of Greater Lafayette. Through donations and volunteer support, LUM gives back the hope, the future, and the self-respect, which all of our neighbors deserve.
- The Financial Assistance Program helps with rent, utilities, employment needs, and medical expenses. The
- Youth Programs offer enrichment programs all year long, including the After School Program, 5th Quarter Summer Program and LUM Camp, a weeklong, overnight summer camp.
- The Immigration Clinic provides legal services to help individuals and families navigate the complex immigration and naturalization process.
- The Protein Food Pantry (downtown Lafyette, IN) and Westside Food Pantry (West Lafayette, IN) offer food items as well as infant, cleaning & hygiene products to households that are food insecure.
- The ID Clinic helps individuals obtain official birth certificates so they may get a legal ID often required for employment, opening a bank account or voting.
- The Emergency Shelter and Winter Warming Station provide temporary shelter, food and support to those experiencing homelessness.
- The Tax Assistance Program assists low income households in preparing and submitting their income tax forms.
- LUM also sponsors several other events like the Community Thanksgiving Feast, Jubilee Christmas, Day for Dads, Hunger Hike, and Port of Hope.
Lafayette Urban Ministry does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political association or belief, or union affiliation or activity, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services. LUM is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, clients, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors, and guests.
Lafayette Urban Ministry is an equal opportunity employer. LUM will not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, color, national origin, ancestry, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, or parental status.