West Lafayette, IN – Lafayette Urban Ministry is thrilled to announce the opening of a new food pantry in West Lafayette, IN. The details of the Grand Opening of the new LUM Westside Food Pantry are as follows:
- Grand Opening – LUM Westside Food Pantry
- Date – Friday, May 7, 2021
- Time – 9:30 a.m.
- Location – Unitarian Universalist Church, 333 Meridian Street, West Lafayette, IN (Smiley Street Entrance near Playground)
- Grand Opening includes…
- Remarks from West Lafayette Mayor John Dennis, State Representative Sheila Klinker and several other local elected officials from West Lafayette, Lafayette & Tippecanoe County
- Ribbon Cutting with representatives from LUM, Food Finders & more
- FREE Donuts, Coffee and Bottled Water
This new food pantry is a partnership between LUM and the Unitarian Universalist Church of Tippecanoe County with the support of the Chapel of the Good Shepherd. The LUM Westside Food Pantry complements the LUM Protein Food Pantry, located in downtown Lafayette, and is the only TEFAP food pantry in West Lafayette. The LUM Protein Food Pantry (Lafayette) is open on Thursday mornings, and the Westside Food Pantry (West Lafayette) will be open on Friday mornings from 10 a.m. to noon. Both LUM food pantries are open to all residents of Tippecanoe County. In addition to the food provided by the USDA through Food Finders Food Bank, Inc., the food pantry will offer protein (meats, fish, peanut butter & beans), fresh produce and paper products.
Cheryl Fowler, LUM Board president shared that, “After months of gathering data, it is clear that West Lafayette needs a food pantry. Expanding the LUM food assistance program to West Lafayette is consistent with our goal to be a partner in feeding our neighbors in need, by offering free, nutritious food, now twice a week. This is an exciting time for LUM and our county.”
Individuals can help the new LUM Westside Food Pantry in four ways:
- Food Drive – Sponsor a food drive at your church, business or in your neighborhood. Extra Credit – Make it a MONTHLY food drive
- Donate – Make a monetary donation or Donate “needed items“
- Volunteer – Sign up to volunteer at one of the LUM food pantries
- Promote – Tell your friends, family, and members of your church, group, business or organizations
Future plans include moving the LUM Protein Food Pantry to a better location in downtown Lafayette and expanding the days of operation at both sites. For more information go to lumserve.org/food-pantry or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Emergency Food Assistance Program (TEFAP) is a federal program that helps supplement the diets of low-income Americans, including elderly people, by providing them with emergency food assistance at no cost. Through TEFAP, the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) purchases a variety of nutritious, high-quality USDA Foods, and makes those foods available to State Distributing Agencies, like Lafayette Urban Ministry.