You may recall that last year’s Hunger Hike event fell significantly short of its fundraising goal. It was only through the concern, effort and generosity of people like you, that we were finally able to meet and exceed that goal in early December – a full two months after the event.
Since that time, Hunger Hike’s three sponsors – Lafayette Urban Ministry, Food Finders Food Bank and St. Thomas Aquinas Center’s Haitian Relief Ministry – have been hard at work proactively reorganizing our Hunger Hike fundraising efforts so as not to have a repeat of last year’s results.
There is so much new energy and enthusiasm in place for Hunger Hike that we are already looking forward to what a successful event might mean for our efforts to feed the hungry.
- At the Lafayette Urban Ministry, the St. John’s/LUM Food Pantry will extend its hours and be open on Saturdays in addition to its current operating hours during the week.
- Food Finders Food Bank, Inc. would be able to expand its Mobile Pantry program to fight hunger when and where it is needed the most.
- St. Tom’s Haiti Ministry would spend additional funds to further develop their pilot program of providing Haitian people with seeds that survive a variety of weather conditions. They will also expand their water purification
We know that you have been a generous supporter of Hunger Hike in the past and we hope that you will join us in our effort to expand Hunger Hike’s impact during 2014.
First of all, you can help by circling the following dates on your calendar…
- Hunger Hike 5K Run — Saturday, September 20, 8:00 a.m., West Lafayette’s Cumberland Park
- Hunger Hike 3K Walk — Sunday, September 21, 2:00 p.m., Levee Plaza Parking lot in West Lafayette
You can also help by making a generous gift to Hunger Hike, right now, prior to the event.
Your gift of $35, $50, $100, $250, $500, or more, will allow our three sponsor organizations to expand their programs, respond to pressing need and better fulfill their missions of feeding hungry children and strengthening families who are experiencing food insecurity.
Hunger Hike is our community’s oldest and most well-respected fundraising walk, dating back to the early 1970’s. Last year more than 1,100 people participated in the event. Over the years, more than $1.5 million dollars have been raised, providing a critical social safety net to thousands of hungry children and adults.
We hope you will join us again this year by running a little faster, walking a little farther – and digging a little deeper. Help us to meet the new and urgent challenges that face us each day on the front lines in the fight against hunger.
Can we hear from you today? Make out your check to “Hunger Hike” and send it to LUM – or give online at www.HungerHike.org
Lafayette Urban Ministry
Rev. Patrick Baikauskas
Pastor/Director of Campus Ministries
St. Thomas Aquinas – the Catholic Center at Purdue
Food Finders Food Bank, Inc.
PS Please help us to reach Hunger Hike’s expanded goal of $125,000 so that our three sponsor organizations can better respond to the needs of those who come to us for food. Place your gift of $35, $50, $100, $250, $500, or more, into the enclosed envelope and return it today. You may also give online at www.HungerHike.org.
How much should I donate? One helpful suggestion is to consider a donation equal to 10% of your monthly food budget or the cost of fast food meals for a month. To donate to Hunger Hike, click HERE.
Join LUM online and help us serve children and families even better.