Several Significant Donations Totaling $166,000
LUM relies on donations from individuals and groups to offer programs that strengthen families & children in our community. Since January, LUM has been blessed with several significant gifts & grants totaling $166,000. They are as follows:
- LUM Good Samaritan Program has been awarded a $35,000 gift ($15,000 in March & $20,000 in May) from the Tippecanoe COVID-19 Response Fund, created by United Way of Greater Lafayette, The Community Foundation of Greater Lafayette and Greater Lafayette Commerce.
- Purdue Crew Team hosted Row-a-Thon and typically donates half of the proceeds to the LUM Good Samaritan Fund. After Purdue Crew’s competition year was cut short due to COVID-19, they decided to donate ALL of the proceeds to LUM, totaling $27,693.
- In honor of Joe Micon’s 41 years of service to LUM and the community, more than $73,000 was donated and raised at the LUM Retirement Follies event. Joe Micon, immediate past LUM executive director, retired earlier this year, and he and his family generously requested and encouraged individuals to make a donation to LUM in lieu of retirement gifts.
- LUM Homeless Services was recommended for Community Development Block Grants, and will be awarded $14,846 from the City of Lafayette and $6,444 from the City of West Lafayette — totaling $21,290.
- The McAllister Foundation recently awarded the LUM Youth Programs a $12,100 grant.
- The Community Foundation of Greater Lafayette has awarded to LUM a COVID-19 “Rapid Response Grant” for $4,000.
- LUM was awarded a gift of $7,500 from Glick Philanthropies through the Glick Community Relief Fund, a grant program to help local nonprofits continue to respond to those impacted by COVID-19.
Lafayette Urban Ministry is grateful for the support from individuals, foundations, agencies, student organizations, groups, churches, and businesses — especially during times like these. This support has enabled LUM to rapidly assist families in crisis due to COVID-19 as well as offer a safe place for those experiencing homelessness. If you wish to make in an investment in the families and children of our community, make a donation online at lumserve.org/donate.