Return to LUM Career Opportunities home page
LUM is hiring an Accounting Assistant who will primarily be responsible for the accounts payable of the organization and general support for the Business Office.
- Are you looking for a part-time flexible position?
- Do you love the ministry of LUM?
- Do you have accounts payable, bookkeeping or accounting experience?
- If so, we are looking for you!
Please see the details below to find out more and to apply today.
If interested—please apply online.
Lafayette Urban Ministry is tackling basic human needs and uplifting the people of Greater Lafayette.
Full Job Description
The Accounting Assistant of Lafayette Urban Ministry will be responsible for all aspects of accounts payable and general support for the Business Office/Finance Director.
- Accounts Payable Responsibilities
- Receive and review incoming invoices. Route for necessary approvals. Examine for appropriate documentation and approval prior to processing payment in accordance with our financial policies and procedures.
- Code and enter invoices into Quickbooks Online.
- Ensure timely and accurate processing of all vendor payments via check, ACH, bill pay software, credit card.
- Review credit card receipts and reconcile monthly credit card statements.
- Manage use, record entries, and reconcile inventory of gift cards.
- Maintain accurate and complete vendor information. Set up new vendors. Ensure receipt of vendor W-9’s, and assist with annual processing of 1099 forms.
- Communicate professionally with vendors, contractors, and staff as necessary to reconcile discrepancies, report payment status, request information, etc.
- Maintain an organized file system for all AP related items.
- Train new employees on the purchase-to-pay process.
- Audit monthly and quarterly payroll tax reporting.
- Assist with month-end and year-end AP closing process.
- Continuously improve the payment and approval process.
- Other Responsibilities
- Fill in to cover responsibilities for other Business Office staff as needed.
- Provide accounting support for LUM programs and at special events as needed.
- Attend staff meetings
- Perform other duties within the Business Office as assigned as the department undergoes reorganization.
- Qualifications and Skills
- Have a strong faith dynamic as expressed by a willingness to support LUM’s Mission Statement
- Ability to conduct all aspects of job with discretion
- Commitment to self-determination of the poor
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university or 2 years experience in accounting or business field
- Competency in use of Quickbooks Online software, and commonly used spreadsheet, database and word processing software, Google Drive applications
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to identify and communicate business process improvements
- Excellent organizational skills and strong attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to work cooperatively with diverse people and groups (church, secular, public, private, low-income)
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Able to travel when needed as required by job duties
- Job Type: Part-time
- Pay: $17.00 per hour
- Flexible schedule
- Paid time off
- Physical setting: Office
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Ability to commute/relocate: Lafayette, IN 47901: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- Experience: QuickBooks or other accounting software: 1 year (Preferred)
- Work Location: One location
Lafayette Urban Ministry does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political association or belief, or union affiliation or activity, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services. LUM is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, clients, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors, and guests.
Lafayette Urban Ministry is an equal opportunity employer. LUM will not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, color, national origin, ancestry, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, or parental status.