Celebrating Another Successful Tax Year
Each year, LUM offers FREE Income Tax Preparation Assistance for eligible, low-income households and individuals who reside in Tippecanoe County. Some interesting statistics about this year’s LUM Tax Assistance Program are as follows:
- $633,267 – Total Refunds
- $568,183 – Total Federal Refunds
- $65,084 – Total State Refunds
- 407 – Income Tax Returns filed
- $153,912 – Total in Earned Income Credit
- $20,750 – Average Adjusted Gross Income
Why is the LUM Tax Assistance Program so important?
- Lower wage workers wouldn’t be able to afford having their tax returns prepared professionally
- Federal & state support for working families is often offered through tax code
- If workers don’t file, significant tax credits will be left unclaimed
- Refunds boost our local economy by increasing sales and creating jobs in retail
This year’s LUM Tax Assistance Program volunteers and staff met for dinner at the program director’s home to reflect & celebrate another successful year. Attending the celebration, pictured above L to R, were (back row) Rob Patrick, Karen Marty, Patti O’Callaghan, Andrea Schmidt, Josh Prokopy, LUM Tax Assistance Program director, & Ron Smith; and (front row) Cheryl Nettleman & Ann Pellegrino.