A Message from Joe Micon, LUM Executive Director
It is hard to believe that September has come and gone! Weren’t we just planning our summer programs?!? In the blink of an eye it’s time to get ready for Jubilee Christmas and the Community Thanksgiving Celebration! Let’s take a moment to review the LUM service report through the 3rd quarter of 2017:
- 1,548 – Good Samaritan Program visits for housing, utility and health-care requests
- $87,721 – Amount of Good Samaritan Fund assistance disbursed
- 6,227 Visits to the St. John’s/LUM Food Pantry
- 33 Immigration Clinic cases
- 163 ID Clinic cases
- 6,572 Overnight stays at the Emergency Shelter
- 510 Overnight stays at the Winter Warming Station
- 739 – Number of homeless individuals served
- 48 Homeless individuals provided housing through the LUM New Opportunity Fund
- 498 Households provided free Tax Assistance
- 226 Children served at LUM Camp, After School Program, and 5th Quarter Summer Learning Program
- ??? Families and ??? children served through Jubilee Christmas
- ??? Meals served at the Community Thanksgiving Celebration
So far this year, 4,426 different low-income households have been served by Lafayette Urban Ministry. We have nurtured and educated children, sheltered families, fed the hungry, helped the homeless become self-sufficient, supported the immigrant, given face to the faceless and voice to the voiceless. 2017 has been a brighter year for so many because of the faithful work carried on every day and night by Lafayette urban Ministry.
Thanks to your special friendship and generous support, Lafayette Urban Ministry continues to make our community a better place for all of its citizens.
Please remember LUM’s important work through the remaining weeks of 2017 by participating in one of our upcoming events, volunteering in a LUM Program, or by sharing a generous financial contribution!
God bless you for all the good that you continue to make happen here!