Each year LUM partners with the IRS to bring free, quality, tax return preparation services to hundreds in Tippecanoe County. Just since January, the LUM Tax Assistance Program has had a tremendous positive impact on our community. Some interesting statistics so far are as follows:
- 392 – Total Income Tax Returns Filed
- $275,629 – Total Earned Income Credit
- $19,194 – Average Adjusted Gross Income
- $789,727 – Total Refund Amount
Last year, 929 working families were served with an average return of $1,398.26 — and almost $1.3 million in refunds and tax credits were secured for local households — and back into our local economy.
LUM would not be able to offer this service without the skilled, trained volunteers who make this program such a success each year. The 2017 LUM Tax Assistance Program is led by Ben Murphy, Pictured above from L to R: Gina Williams, Tax Intern; Patti O’Callaghan, Tax Volunteer, Ben Murphy; and Connie Decker, Tax Receptionist.
Why is the LUM Tax Assistance Program so important?
- Lower wage workers wouldn’t be able to afford having their tax returns done professionally
- Much of federal & state support for working families is offered through tax code
- If workers don’t file, significant tax credits will be left unclaimed
- Refunds boost our local economy by increasing sales and creating jobs in retail
For more information on the LUM Tax Assistance Program or how YOU can volunteer, click HERE or call 765.423.2691. To make an investment in the LUM Tax Assistance program and make a donation, click HERE.