Development Director – Position
LUM seeks a Development Director to oversee fundraising initiatives, manage relationships with partners, and lead the expansion of donor support, transitioning towards a major-gift-focused operation. This role involves creating and executing annual development plans, strategizing multi-year fundraising efforts, and engaging with donors to encourage ongoing contributions and seek financial support through various channels.
LUM has immediate openings for a Development Director. Please review the information below — and share with others. Applications will be reviewed as received.
- Position title: Development Director | Department: Office
- Immediate Supervisor: Executive Director
- Employment status/Categorization: Salaried (full-time) / Director
- FLSA status; Exempt
- Terms of Employment: As Specified in LUM Personnel Policies
LUM has an opening for Development Director overseeing all LUM fundraising initiatives and builds/manages relationships with LUM and financial partners. LUM is looking to significantly expand its fundraising initiative to engage a wider base of donor support and move into a major-gift-focused operation. The Development Director will focus on developing a program to enable LUM to expand its reach and impact. Duties include: creating and executing the annual development plan (with “SMART” goals – specific, measurable, attainable, relevant, time-based), developing a multi-year fundraising strategy to grow major and planned giving support, interacting with current and potential donors to encourage ongoing contributions, seeking out opportunities for financial support through sponsorships, legacy gifts, and grants.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Core Responsibilities
- Designs and implements a comprehensive annual development plan and multiyear fundraising strategy that maintains the fiscal health of the organization and provides future financial resources for growth and expansion, with a focus on major-gift fundraising. This includes engaging directly with LUM donors and potential LUM donors, grant writing and management, corporate and individual major giving, annual appeal development and management, and legacy giving.
- Monitors the progress toward annual development plan goals (weekly meeting with executive director, quarterly review and adjustments of objectives/actions).
- Trains, educates, and empowers the LUM Board to actively engage in achieving the annual development plan goals, working in partnership with the LUM Development Team. Sets up and reports tracking metrics of and to members.
- Develops strong relationships within the community to foster a positive image such that churches, companies, schools, civic organizations and individuals will make LUM the local charity of choice for funding.
- Utilizes the LUM database to collect, organize, and maintain a complete and accurate database record of donors, interactions with donors, and funding received.
- Other Responsibilities
- Acts as the primary point of contact for funding, donation and grant inquiries.
- Creates email and direct mail campaigns targeted to re-engage lapsed supporters and grow current supporters.
- Works collaboratively with fundraising event staff to offer management, production and support of LUM fundraising events. This includes developing and managing production timelines, budgets, and post-event evaluation.
- Work collaboratively with LUM executive director and communications director to ensure branding, image and consistency of messaging in all organization materials. This includes ensuring LUM messaging is updated and accurate in all marketing and outreach materials.
- Works collaboratively with LUM Staff to design and produce annual giving campaigns for various LUM programs, as well as auxiliary marketing, promotional and outreach materials.
- Assists with coordination of media events; speaks on behalf of LUM with media outlets as needed.
- Networks at selected community and leadership events.
- Delivers presentations on programs to various community, corporate and church groups as needed. Provides written report of monthly activities/results to executive director for presentation to the LUM Board.
- Attends monthly staff meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum Requirements
- Five years of professional experience in fundraising, having personally asked for major philanthropic gifts of $10,000 or above.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- Experience in managing an annual fund (non-profit experience preferred).
- Experience in creating an annual development plan.
- Regular and reliable attendance at LUM Staff meetings, agreed-upon office hours, agreed-upon community and networking events.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Experienced in spreadsheets, word processing documents, and databases (LUM utilizes Google platforms, Quickbooks, and Bloomerang).
- Ability to conduct all aspects of the job in a way that honors the confidentiality of all personal and financial information.
- Strong faith dynamic as expressed by a willingness to enthusiastically support LUM’s mission statement.
- Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills and an ability to work cooperatively with diverse people and groups (church, secular, public, private, low-income).
- Commitment to self-determination of the poor.
- Ability to travel (using one’s personal vehicle and being reimbursed for mileage at the federal rate) when needed as required by job duties (primarily be within Tippecanoe County, 2-5 times week to various locations to meet with current and potential donors, community partners, etc.).
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an
employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions.
- Most duties are performed in an office environment and require the ability to operate standard office equipment and keyboards. Must have the ability to lift and carry parcels, packages and other items. Must possess a valid driver’s license and be able to drive to various locations to observe programs.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by
the employee(s) of this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related
instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to
give instructions or assignments. All duties and responsibilities are essential functions and
requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals
To perform this job successfully, the employee(s) will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities
to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct
threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed
in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities. This document does
not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an at will relationship.
At Will Employment
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) of this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. All duties and responsibilities are essential functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
To perform this job successfully, the employee(s) will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an at will relationship.
Lafayette Urban Ministry does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political association or belief, or union affiliation or activity, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services. LUM is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, clients, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors, and guests.
Lafayette Urban Ministry is an equal opportunity employer. LUM will not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, color, national origin, ancestry, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, or parental status.