Meet the LUM Staff
The Staff of Lafayette Urban Ministry
Lafayette Urban Ministry depends on volunteers and donations from individuals like you to be successful. But behind the scenes of every great nonprofit is a small but dedicated team of staff who provide the day-to-day management and leadership to carry out the organization’s mission. LUM is fortunate to have an experienced, hard working team who believe strongly in the LUM mission while engaging and training volunteers.
Joe Micon is the Executive Director
- Purdue University, BA, Applied Sociology
- Indiana University, MSW, Social Work with concentration in the Administration of Not-for-Profit Organizations
With LUM, Joe has also served as Program Director for Jubilee Christmas, Emergency Shelter, Social Justice Ministries, and Repairs on Wheels.
Susan Brouillette is the Program Director for the Social Justice Ministry, including the Immigration Clinic & Campaign for Hoosier Families, and is the LUM Chaplain
She started with LUM in 2013. Susan grew up in Fowler, Indiana; graduated from Benton Central High School in Oxford; and currently lives in Lafayette. Susan’s education includes:
- Hanover College, BA, Communication and Political Science
- Christian Theological Seminary, Masters in Divinity
Susan was ordained as a minister in the Presbyterian Church in 2018.
Connie Decker is the Receptionist
She started with LUM in 2017. Connie grew up in Lafayette and graduated from Jefferson High School. She currently lives in Lafayette and has been in the same house for over 40 years.
Connie took several classes at Ivy Tech Community College to gain skills in customer service, clerical & receptionist duties and professional writing.
With LUM, Connie was a volunteer receptionist from 2009 through 2017. She also was the Summer Receptionist in 2016 and has assisted with LUM Camp.
Marlena Edmondson is the Assistant Program Director of LUM Camp
She started with LUM in 2018. Marlena grew up in Lafayette, graduated from Harrison High School, and currently lives on the north side of Lafayette. Marlena’s education includes:
- University of Indianapolis, BSW, Political Science and Social Work
- Indiana University, MSW, Social Work with concentration in Child Welfare
With LUM, Marlena was also a LUM camper for three years and LUM Camp volunteer camp counselor for 13 years.
Nate Gick is the Maintenance Director & Custodian
He started with LUM in November 2016. Nate grew up in Lafayette, graduated from Benton Central High School, and currently lives in Oxford.
Nate attended Ball State University and is currently enrolled int the HVAC Maintenance Technology Program at the AC/C Tech – Indianapolis.
David Heckert is the Emergency Shelter Director
He started with LUM in November 2017. David grew up in Dayton, Indiana and Honolulu, Hawaii; graduated from Jefferson High School; and currently lives in West Lafayette.
David’s education includes:
- Ivy Tech Community College, AS, Human Services
- Indiana University, BS, Social Work
Linda Hicks is the Good Samaritan Program Director & Office Manager
She started with LUM in 2005. Linda grew up in West Lafayette, graduated from Harrison High School, and currently lives in West Lafayette. Linda’s education includes:
- Purdue University, BA, Early Childhood Education
With LUM, Linda also served as the assistant director of LUM Camp.
Kristi Hogue is the Youth Programs Director
She started with LUM in September of 2018. Kristi grew up in Logansport, graduated from Logansport High School, and currently lives in Lafayette. Kristi education includes:
- Purdue University, BA, Child Development & Family Studies
She is also a member of the National Association for the Education of Young Children.
Gayle Koning is the Assistant Business Manager
She started with LUM in 2016. Gayle grew up in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania; graduated from Lawrenceville Catholic High School in Pittsburgh; and currently lives in Lafayette. Gayle’s education includes:
- American Institute of Banking, Diploma
- Radisson Hotels International, Revenue Manager certification & General Manager certification
- The Ohio State University, Pool Operator certification
With LUM, she was a special needs counselor at LUM Camp and has assisted with LUM Follies, Hunger Hike, Port of Hope, Turkey Trot and Jubilee Christmas. Gayle is also a member of the choir at the Cathedral of St. Mary of the Immaculate Conception, Lafayette.
Pablo Malavenda is the Executive Assistant for Social Media; Webmaster; and Program Director, LUM Follies, Hunger Hike & Jubilee Christmas
He started with LUM in 2012. Pablo grew up in Meriden, Connecticut; graduated from Platt High School; and currently lives in West Lafayette. Pablo’s education includes:
- University of Connecticut, BA, Industrial Psychology
- UConn, MA, Higher Education Administration, focus in Counseling
Victor Mite is the Assistant Program Director for Immigration Clinic
He started with LUM in September 2018. Victor grew up in Ancon, Panama, Republic of Panama and now lives in Lafayette. Victor’s education includes:
- Graduated from the Pan American Institute
- University of Panama, AS, Accounting
Kathy Parker is the Program Director for Greater Lafayette Interfaith Community Thanksgiving Celebration
She started with LUM in October 2017. Kathy grew up in Storrs, Connecticut; graduated from E.O. Smith High School; and currently lives in West Lafayette. Kathy’s education includes:
- Roanoke College, BA, History
- University of Rhode Island, elementary teaching certificate
With LUM, Kathy also serves on the Hunger Hike Fundraising Committee.
Josh Prokopy is the Program Director for the Tax Assistance Program and Turkey Trot 5K Run
He started with LUM in October 2017. Josh grew up in Conway, Massachusetts; graduated from Deerfield Academy; and currently lives in West Lafayette. Josh’s education includes:
- University of Massachusetts at Amherst, BA, Individual Concentration with a concentration in Development and Social Change
- University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill, MA, Sociology and MSW, Social Work
Eileen Weiss is the Business Manager
She returned to LUM in June of 2018. Eileen grew up in Lafayette, graduated from Central Catholic High School, and currently lives in Elk Grove Village, Illinois. Eileen’s education includes:
- Ivy Tech Community College, Business Law
- Chrysler Corporation, Automotive Accounting
With LUM, Eileen was the LUM Camp assistant, business manager for four years, project manager for 21 months, Jubilee Christmas program director, Tax Assistance Program director, Community Thanksgiving Celebration program director, Hunger Hike program director, and Good Samaritan Fund Follies assistant.