LUM has an opening for the LUM Finance Director (currently the Business Manager) with an anticipated starting date of September 1, 2022. Details are as follows:
Job Status: Half-time (negotiable), salaried
Immediate Supervisor: Executive Director
Starting Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Benefits: +1⁄3 of salary
Terms of Employment: As specified in LUM personnel policies.
Hours of Employment: 18.75 hours as required
The Finance Director will be a strategic thought-partner, reporting to the Executive Director. The successful candidate will be a hands-on and participative manager and will lead and develop an internal system of oversight that supports the mission, goals and objectives of Lafayette Urban Ministry.
This position is a tremendous opportunity for a finance and operations leader to maximize and strengthen the internal capacity of a well-respected, high-impact social service organization. Currently the position is half-time, hours to be determined with the successful candidate pending reorganization of the business office staff.
- Analyze and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly and annual financial statements to ED and Executive Council. Present all critical financial matters to the ED and Executive Council in a timely manner.
- Assist the ED with the annual budgeting and planning process; administer and review all financial plans and budgets; monitor progress and changes.
- Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting including close communication with LUM’s investment companies, the ED, and Executive Council.
- Manage departmental tracking of funds.
- Manage financial reporting for all donors.
- Oversee financial compliance and reporting for grants.
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process with LUM’s accounting firm and the Executive Council.
- Provide LUM’s accounting firm with information required to prepare and file annual 990 tax return.
- Assess, document and implement any changes necessary in LUM’s business policies and accounting practices.
- Comply with requirements of the federal and state government by filing 1099s, annual entity reports, audit waiver applications, and other business administrative duties as required.
- Oversee management of on-line payment systems (PayPal, PAMP, credit cards, etc.).
- Oversee financial responsibility for LUM’s rental property including collection and reporting from Housing Choice/Section Program.
- Oversee management of LUM credit cards including timely payments.
- Work closely with LUM staff to ensure consistency in following all LUM policies and procedures.
- Work closely and transparently with all external partners including third-party vendors and consultants.
- Supervise business office staff.
Payroll and Human Resources
- Oversee review of documents from new employees and filing of appropriate information with federal and state governments.
- Oversee payroll processing.
- Oversee preparation of all payroll tax reports and ensure all payments are made in a timely manner.
- Process unemployment claims.
- Ensure that employee files are complete, consistent and streamlined.
- Oversee management of donor databases including reconciling with QuickBooks.
- Oversee acknowledging individual donations.
- Send annual letters to donors and prepare appropriate IRS donation acknowledgements, such 1098-C as needed.
- Experience with grant management is helpful but not required.
- Assist ED with grant budget requests.
- Review grant expenditures for allowability.
- Submit grant financial reports and reimbursement requests as required.
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in accounting, and 5 years of professional experience in broad financial and operational management.
- Competency in use of Quickbooks (or similar) software and commonly used spreadsheet, database and word processing software.
- Experience with final responsibility for the quality and content of all financial data and reporting.
- A successful track record in setting priorities; keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills which support and enable sound decision making.
- Experience managing human resource functions is preferred but not required.
- Not-for-profit accounting experience, grant management and audit coordination are helpful but not required.
- Ability to conduct all aspects of the job with discretion.
- Strong faith dynamic as expressed by a willingness to support LUM’s mission statement.
- Strong interpersonal and relationship building skills and an ability to work cooperatively with diverse people and groups (church, secular, public, private, low income).
- Commitment to self-determination of the poor.
- Ability to travel when needed as required by job duties.
Lafayette Urban Ministry does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, political association or belief, or union affiliation or activity, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services. LUM is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, clients, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors, and guests.
Lafayette Urban Ministry is an equal opportunity employer. LUM will not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, color, national origin, ancestry, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, or parental status.