Position Announcement – Security Officer
Lafayette Urban Ministry has immediate openings for the Security Officer position at the LUM Emergency Shelter. Lafayette Urban Ministry Emergency Shelter seeks Security Officers to assist with its short-term overnight shelter for homeless individuals. Security Officers will maintain the safety & security of our guests and oversee the volunteers supporting the shelter.
- Maintains safety of guests, volunteers and premises.
- Assigns nightly tasks to volunteers.
- Ensures all guests comply with LUM’s Shelter Rules for Guests.
- Monitors and authorizes arrival/departure.
- Performs a no-hands security check of all arriving guests.
- Circulates among guests and monitors activity within the Shelter.
- Walks and discourages loitering within three blocks of Shelter and on Lafayette Urban Ministry grounds.
- In the event that guests violate Shelter Rules, suspends guest from access to Shelter and documents.
- Writes reports of daily activities noting any irregularities, such as the presence of unauthorized persons, inappropriate behavior, or unusual occurrences.
- In the event of an emergency (such as threat of physical harm, an intruder, or fire) calls police.
- Works closely with staff and volunteers to maintain a team environment modeling mutual respect and maintaining a professional and safe environment for Shelter guests.
Hours & Pay:
- 8 p.m. to midnight or midnight to 7 a.m.
- $10 per hour
- Must be 18 years or older
- Prefer – HS diploma or equivalent
- Experience desired
- To apply please send resume to the LUM Shelter Director
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mail or Drop Off: LUM Office, 420 N 4th Street, Lafayette, IN 47901
The LUM Emergency Shelter provides short-term, overnight shelter, meals, and showers in a safe and caring environment to homeless individuals — 365 nights a year.