Lafayette Urban Ministry has immediate openings for the Security Officer position at the LUM Emergency Shelter. Lafayette Urban Ministry Emergency Shelter seeks Security Officers to assist with its short-term overnight shelter for homeless individuals. Security Officers will maintain the safety & security of our guests and oversee the volunteers supporting the shelter.
- Maintains safety of guests, volunteers and premises.
- Assigns nightly tasks to volunteers.
- Ensures all guests comply with LUM’s Shelter Rules for Guests.
- Monitors and authorizes arrival/departure.
- Performs a no-hands security check of all arriving guests.
- Circulates among guests and monitors activity within the Shelter.
- Walks and discourages loitering within three blocks of Shelter and on Lafayette Urban Ministry grounds.
- In the event that guests violate Shelter Rules, suspends guest from access to Shelter and documents.
- Writes reports of daily activities noting any irregularities, such as the presence of unauthorized persons, inappropriate behavior, or unusual occurrences.
- In the event of an emergency (such as threat of physical harm, an intruder, or fire) calls police.
- Works closely with staff and volunteers to maintain a team environment modeling mutual respect and maintaining a professional and safe environment for Shelter guests.
Hours & Pay:
- 8 p.m. to midnight or midnight to 7 a.m.
- $10 per hour
- Must be 18 years or older
- Prefer – HS diploma or equivalent
- Experience desired
- To apply please send resume to the LUM Shelter Director
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mail or Drop Off: LUM Office, 420 N 4th Street, Lafayette, IN 47901
The LUM Emergency Shelter provides short-term, overnight shelter, meals, and showers in a safe and caring environment to homeless individuals — 365 nights a year.