Winter Warming Station – Providing Meals
Providing Meals for the LUM Winter Warming Station
The LUM Winter Warming Station need meals each day/night from November 15 to April 15.
GUIDELINES – Providing Simple Bagged Meals
- Drop Off Information
- Day/Date – Drop off the meals on the weekday for which you signed up
- TIME – between 7 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- LOCATION – LUM Office, 420 N 4th Street, Lafayette, IN
- MEALS – Prepare 40 bagged meals (like a school lunch) containing one of each of the following:
- Sandwich that doesn’t need refrigeration (prepared, individually wrapped) — Peanut butter & jelly, ham & cheese, turkey & cheese, peanut butter & honey -OR- Other ideas: Ready-to-eat TUNA packs -OR- Vienna sausages (small can)
- Salty snack – chips, pretzels, cracker packs with cheese or peanut butter
- Sweet snack – Dessert snacks, Twinkie, rice treat, cookies
- “Later” Snack – Chewy Granola bar, Cereal bars, Soft snack bars (avoid nuts and crunchy granola bars)
- Fruit/veggie – apple, orange, mandarin orange, fruit cup (with plastic spoon), carrots, apple-sauce cups
- Drink – Bottled water – OR- Pouch/box drink (Capri Sun)
- Utensils – Napkin, Plastic fork and spoon
- Label Bags – put the DATE on the bag & feel free to have children (or adults) color or draw happy pictures on the bags
- Please note – If you provide deli meat sandwiches, they are served within two hours. If sandwiches will not be used within two hours, they are frozen for use at a later time. Variety is great, from day to day, but ready-to-eat tuna packets & tins of Vienna sausage are great too.
Planning and preparing a meal is a great activity for families, church groups, campus organizations and civic groups. LUM makes a conscious effort to make sure the food served is nutritious, but basic. LUM is grateful for your generosity. Thank you.
The LUM Winter Warming Station complements the services of the LUM Emergency Shelter. The Winter Warming Station is located in the LUM Office building (420 N 4th Street, Lafayette) and is open from midnight to 7 a.m. from November 15 to April 15 (subject to change). The Annex is an emergency Day Shelter that is open to individuals experiencing homelessness each time the Health Department prohibits LUM from accepting new guests due to COVID-19. Each day that the Annex is open, a meal is provided to our guests — in addition to the Winter Warming Station guests.