Joe Micon, LUM executive director, was a torchbearer in the Indiana Bicentennial Torch Relay — a 3,200 mile journey across the state through each county. The Torch Relay started on September 9 and ends this weekend in the state capitol, Indianapolis.
Micon joined 2,200 torchbearers to “inspire and unify Hoosiers” as well as “symbolically ‘pass the torch’ connecting generations to ignite our future.” He did this by carrying with him the hopes and dreams of our LUM students during the Torch Relay. Micon met this summer with the students enrolled in the LUM 5th Quarter Summer Learning Program and LUM Camp and recently with the students in the LUM After School Program.
He asked the children to write a note wishing Indiana a Happy Birthday and include one “wish” they had for the state in the future. Micon read each one, reflected on them and carried them in the Torch Relay. Some of the wishes of our LUM students are as follows:
- I wish for more jobs. I wish things weren’t so expensive.
- I hope we have good schools for children…and good roads.
- I wish that everyone is treated nicely. I wish people were treated better
- I wish people had food. I wish that no one does not live without food and no one will starve. I wish that Indiana people are happy.
- I wish nobody will not be homeless.
- I wish cars and buses could fly around the sky. I wish for more zoos.
Congratulations to Joe Micon for being nominated and selected as an Indiana Bicentennial Torchbearer. Thanks to the children for sharing their wishes, hopes and dreams. Happy Birthday, Indiana.
To view more pictures of Joe Micon in the Bicentennial Torch Relay, click HERE.