It’s tax time at LUM – so the office is bustling. Each year LUM partners with the IRS to bring free, quality, tax return preparation services to hundreds in our community. In just five weeks, the LUM Tax Assistance Program has had a tremendous positive impact on our community.
Some interesting statistics so far are as follows:
- Total Income Tax Returns Filed – 397
- Total Earned Income Credit – $340,024
- Average Adjusted Gross Income – $19,058
- Total Refund Amount – $878,309
Last year, 790 joint and individual returns were prepared; and $1.6+ million in refunds and credits were returned to local households—and back into our local economy.
Why is the LUM Tax Assistance Program so important?
- Lower wage workers wouldn’t be able to afford having their tax returns done professionally
- Much of federal & state support for working families is offered through tax code
- If workers don’t file, significant tax credits will be left unclaimed
- Refunds boost our local economy by increasing sales and creating jobs in retail
Joe Micon, LUM Executive Director stated,
“The positive impact upon local families of these dollars cannot be understated. Over the past 14 years LUM has built a strong infrastructure of tax expertise, positive relationships with clients, information technology and a pool of committed volunteers and generous donors who support this program.
“Of all the wonderful services offered by LUM, there is none that has a greater positive impact on the children and families in our community than our tax assistance program.”
LUM would not be able to offer this service without the skilled, trained volunteers who make this important LUM program such a success each year. The 2016 LUM Tax Assistance Program is led by Marilyn Zerbes (pictured above).
For more information on the LUM Tax Assistance Program or how YOU can volunteer, click HERE or call 765.423.2691. To make an investment in the LUM Tax Assistance program and make a donation, click HERE.